Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, March 12, 2006

"Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!" - Moranis, Ghostbusters (for CWH)



Above is the recipient of the John and Mrs. Wilder Award for Neatest Ice Sculpture. The picture may look nice, but I was disappointed that I couldn't capture more of just how neat it was. Plus, it reminded me of the statues in Ghostbusters that attacked Sigourney Weaver and Rick Moranis in Ghostbusters. Oh, Zuul, you nut. By the way, these all get bigger if you click on them. I would suggest it in all cases.



A very scary fish made of ice. I'm not sure what the limit on these is, and I imagine they don't cook up well.



An icy humingbird. This picture came out well, though it zoomed off when I got too close.



Not my favorite ice carving, but very photogenic. If this is a stutue of a guy, well, keep the mask on. If this is a statue of a girl, well, better luck next life.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

ROTFL! I love that quote. Just reading it, I can see/hear him speaking, with his glasses askew. Who doesn't love a CPA?

2:33 PM  
Blogger Woofwoof said...

The hummingbird in the top picture is simply amazing. It's one of those things that are so real-looking you wonder if they are made of plastic.

4:48 PM  
Blogger shawnkielty said...

This is entirely too much fun -- the ice sculptures. Cool stuff. I could never see this in Arizona (except maybe this week).

8:55 PM  
Blogger Jill Homer said...

Very cool. Wish I could see the show. It dosen't stay cool enough down here for such inticrite ice sculptures - unless, of course, the artist is a bit of a nihilist.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Coldfoot said...

Good pictures.

I could not get a good picture of that fish to save my life. I'm going back Tuesday night to take some pictures when the sculptures are lit up.

The colored lighting really brings out the detail that you can't photograph in the daylight.

6:49 AM  
Blogger John said...

jonathan,
Yeah, I had a request for that one. I love it, too. Actually, it's who doesn't love a possessed CPA.

woof,
It's actually made of plastic. I'm just messing with you. BTW, when did technology improve to the point that plastic rocked? I think it was May 20, 1984.

shawn,
They really do rock. We go back aqain and again. It's a bit of magic. Plus, the slides made of ice really shoot you down if you're wearing nylon pants, according to The Boy.

jill,
Bike (or ski, or drive) yourself on up here. WORTH IT.

As far as a nihilist sculptor, I think he (or she) would just look at the block of ice and say, "Nevermind. We're all doomed. DOOMED I say!"

Don't invite nihilists to parties. They suck the fun out of the air.

coldfoot,
See, I can't take the good ones at night. I can help you with post-processing, you can help me figure out what all the darn buttons are on the camera. The Boy and the Coldfeet need to play. The Boy was really remarking on that the other day . . . (Seriously, we were driving at the intersection of our road and the one that goes up the hill, and The Boy brought it up. The Mrs. and I looked at each other and confessed that we'd been thinking the same thing . . .)

7:12 PM  
Blogger Tammy said...

Totally Amazing pictures. I would love o see them in person one day. Unfortunately our winter has been too warm for our regular ice sculpture contests. Looking forward to more of your amazing pics

5:20 PM  
Blogger John said...

Tammy,
Thanks! Tickets are available to Fairbanks . . . but that's a long way to see ice when you probably have some in your freezer.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory