Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Sale of the Century


So, the Mrs. and I were out and about and saw the car above. If you look really closely, you can see that this vehicle has been in a minor traffic altercation. You can click on the picture to enlarge if you need to. I'll wait.

Look at the fine detail involved in this repair - the auto-body technician has used tape nearly the same color as the car for the repair. That's service! I don't know what shop you go to in order to get this quality work, but it must be a popular place because I see the same technique everywhere.

Anyway, The Mrs. and I had been out going to garage sales, and have come to a conclusion: like car repair and everything else, it's different up here.

Here at a garage sale, you can buy a pickup, a trailer, an ATV, a snow machine, a chainsaw, MREs, an air compressor and a single shot 12 ga. shotgun. At the same sale. And there's another garage sale down the street that looks pretty similar. The one trick is to avoid any area where people can see other houses from their front yard - those garage sales were exactly like garage sales in Des Moines.

Before I moved here, I was used to going to a garage sale and finding, well, someone else's crap. If you bought any of said crap, you would store in it an ever-growing pile in your garage until it overwhelmed the structural capacity of your garage floor and/or shelving. Then it becomes time for your sale. The same is true here in Alaska, but the crap is so much neater. I would estimate that at the places we stopped, three out of five had snow machines for sale. You could probably go to ten garage sales in Florida before you saw your first snow machine.

Our haul was impressive. The Boy got a box of vintage Star Wars toys. The Mrs. got an ATV. I got a 4x4 pickup and double-axle trailer. All of it appears to work. Gotta go - time to reinforce the garage floor . . .

5 Comments:

Blogger Coldfoot said...

I bought a car at a garage sale a few years ago. Still driving it, I might add. In fact, it is much more reliable than my much newer, car-lot-bought Kia.

I thought you could buy cars at garage sales everywhere.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Woofwoof said...

Ah! The magic of duct tape. I'm glad to see it practiced everywhere.

The weirdest thing I have seen people sell at garage sales here is pets -- little puppies. To be correct, it's not the thing being sold that's weird; it's the seller.

I was looking at an old CD and the owner suddenly asked, you want that little dog too? Five dollars. It just goes to show that not every nut case is in the asylum yet. Or has moved to Alaska :) We kept the best ones.

5:48 AM  
Blogger Keith C. said...

Totally cool picture. I love your site, keep up the good work.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, that car looks loads better than what I'm driving right now (bike/new balance sneakers). Lemme know if you run into any more salvageable vehicles.

I liked an advertisement for a garage I saw a while back-- with fishing gear, a motorcycles, guns, and wedding rings. Aww, yeah.

7:49 PM  
Blogger John said...

This was the first time I'd seen 'em. Don't know, perhaps I was living where the population wasn't so mobile, but it seemed all of the sales had cars for sale.

No pups, woof.

Liz, I did. If you're interested, let me know - this one guy had a mid-80's Bronco for like $1000. Dunno if it ran well, he claimed it did.

Keith, thank you!

8:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory