Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Friday, September 30, 2005

"Gentlemen, pray silence for the President of the Royal Society for Putting Things on Top of Other Things." - Python, Monty


President Chen Shui-bian (pronounced John Smith) and I following our engagement announcement. I have no idea who the trollop touching my arm is.

So, here it is, as promised. The post where I divulge the awful secret that binds me to The President of Taiwan (Chen Shui-bian) like a salamander super-glued to a satin sheet.

I was sitting in the line to drive out of Whittier when I saw the same car that had been tailing me all the way from the Alyeska Prince Hotel that morning. We were stopped in the middle of the road, waiting fifteen minutes for the next traffic release to leave Whittier. Then seven men got out of the stretch Lincoln Limo, and one of them, a Chinese gentleman wearing a two-piece navy suit and dark sunglasses tapped on my window with the knuckles of his hand.

Said gentleman introduced himself as Chin Long Soo (his brother?) and indicated that he was in the Secret Service of Taiwan, and was curious if I would like to meet the President of Taiwan. There was only one catch - did I have any Judas Priest in the car?

Damn straight I did.

Soon, the President of Taiwan and I were jamming to "You've Got Another Thing Coming" as we sipped champagne in the back of the Limo. His Secret Service guys drove my car through the tunnel. Then we drank a bunch more champagne and played poker until dawn. I think I own the Taiwanese Navy now. (It has three ships, two more than Canada's.)

Okay, that was all a lie. A damn fine lie, but a lie.

Now the truth.

Okay, so it's mainly coincidence.

When we checked in to the Alyeska Prince, I saw lots of official-looking cars. Cars with Alaska State Legislature plates, things like that.

Turns out (I found out after the trip) that the President of Taiwan was hanging out at the Alyeska Prince when I was, talking about trade with Alaska. Now, I'm not going to tell you how I offered him five dollars to take my luggage up to the room, and how I was swarmed by the Taiwanese Secret Service. That would have been a story. But, no, I didn't even know he was there until after the trip.

The President of Taiwan ended up getting stuck in Alaska, due to weather down in Florida, or something like that. So, I followed his progress thanks to Google News, and that's when I saw the picture above. I started cackling, and showed The Mrs. She started cackling, too.

The picture below is one I took. Of The Boy. Same spot that The President of Taiwan occupied two days later.


The Boy and Smokey T. Bear. The Boy is impossible to photograph, given the great magnetic field that his body exudes like grease from Donald Trump's hair.

Har!

Both pictures were taken at the Begich and Boggs Visitor Center to Portage Glacier. When we had gotten in line to go through the tunnel out of Whittier (despite asking him previously) The Boy declared that if he was not allowed to use the bathroom immediately, he would be the first person since 1936 to die of a ruptured bladder.

There was no way we were going to miss the tunnel release, since that might mean we'd need to stay in Whittier another two hours. No. Not going to happen.

So, we went through the tunnel, he suffered, and we stopped at the Visitor Center. There The Boy blissfully made peace with his internal waste storage system. We hadn't intended to stop, but we did. Thus, the result is the picture above.

The 'Begich' in the name of the Visitor Center was an Alaska politician. He was lost when his plane crashed on a glacier, and has never been found. His sons have risen to prominance in Alaska, though, one being mayor of Anchorage, and the other for writing books about how HAARP controls our minds.

In retrospect, I'd like to thank The Boy's bladder. Stopping at the Visitor Center was nice. The pictures of Portage Lake and Portage Glacier below would not have been possible with out the liquid intake.


This is a big honking glacier. Portage is its name-o. Same-o for the lake-o.


This is Byron Glacier. I'm not sure if this one is named for Lord Byron or not. But, the name remains Byron.


This is just another damn glacier. Another one. These things infest Alaska like cats infest an old lady's house. Damn glaciers, anyway.

So, The Boy's bladder provided the punchline to this bit of story. Does anyone know what the average salary is in the Taiwanese Navy?

By the way: Shout out to my Pop on his birthday. Dads rock.

Next: Toys, Anchorage, and The Dreaded Slutch of Doom

10 Comments:

Blogger John said...

By the way, folks, this is post 100 on Life In Alaska. Just thought you might want to know that, like if you were counting. Thanks for stopping, thanks for commenting, and, thanks for all the fish.

I really wish I was running a cheap clip show, but, I'll be formulating taht for later.

Gang, thanks for coming by. I love the comments and the interaction.

Woof, I especially love the time when, well, you know, you did that thing for me.

Witch, keep your mind out of the gutter. He just notarized my property tax thingy.

Bonhomme, you know that I'm hoping you have many happy cheese sandwiches, though I must say I bet I kick your Mom's butt in the cheese sandwich making department. I haven't had one of hers, but mine are better than sex. Okay, not better, but very good for cheese sandwiches.

Again, thanks all for coming, and helping make this the most popular site on the internet for people who come here every damn day. All me of me.

Okay. Enough of the very special episode crap. Game on!

8:32 PM  
Blogger John said...

By "taht", I mean "that". Damn Cabernetaljdoaiur Savignouasdjlfajsdn.

8:35 PM  
Blogger Woofwoof said...

Uh, what thing?

Great post #100, and great story about the President of Taiwan. I was kinda expecting that he would use the Floo Bee on himself though. Don't they have color digital cameras in Taiwan?

10:34 PM  
Blogger the Witch said...

Wooo-hooo! Happy 100!

And no, I will NOT take my mind from the gutter, thank you very much.

_/\_

2:29 PM  
Blogger @ロウ 。LOW@ said...

Happy 100!

Love your photo and the way you tell the story, haha! Love hard cool ais even more. Erm, i am a TROPICAL boy, after all! Had enough of hot stuff, i guess? :)

Cheers!

6:56 PM  
Blogger John said...

woof,
Heheheheh.

No Floo Bee.

I was wondering about the color, not like it costs more to post online . . .

lady luck,
Yeah, no vino with the Prez. No Floo Bee, either.

No, I assure that I took those. If the alternative had been to NOT go to Whittier and swipe 'em, knowing what I know now, I might have done that . . .

:)

sandy,
Knock yourself out, feel free to use them for non-commerical purposes to your heart's content, though this is a non-exclusive license and I disclaim all mirth-related injuries.

witch,
I expect nothing less. (Or is that nothing more?)

@?? ?low@,
Thanks! Yes, had enough hot weather for forever. Snow shortly . . . yay!

8:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm... Smokey Bear. No 'the' involved. Other than that, a great posting for number 100.

8:32 PM  
Blogger John said...

Oz,
That's what The Mrs. said. Nevertheless, I stand by my statement. Kermit THE Frog. Smokey THE Bear. Rosie THE Riveter . . . (Actually, I know I'm wrong . . . but must put up some lame defense)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Coldfoot said...

I'm looking at the picture again, and ya' know what?

The guy with the hairy chest and white hat looks more presidential than the short guy with the creepy smile.

12:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't want a defense. Just an acknowledgement that you were wrong.

Thanks. :-)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory