Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Monday, November 21, 2005

Land For Peace


Above is a picture of the Mecca Bar in downtown Fairbanks. I'm not sure if that puts us up high on some sort of list of places that some evil people don't like, but it sure does give a new twist to "worship at Mecca."

Just thinking (as stolen from Rants and Observations) that the United States should swap the dangly skinny bit of Alaska (including Juneau) for the Yukon. The Canadians would get the bureaucrats, and we'd get some elbow room up here, finally. I know people who have to live within 30 miles of other people - it's just not humane!

Oh, I know those Canadians look all happy and Mountie-like, and you expect them to break in to song at any minute about how much they love the forest, but they can fool you. I just was reading that they eat kittens. Kittens!

I don't think that the swap of Juneau for the Yukon will ever get a chance to go, though. Then the Yukon would be just like a dagger aimed at the heart of Ottowa. Since Alaska has about 17 times the guns that haven't been melted down in Canada, I think this would be a short war. Sorry for the short post, I've recieved notice that I've been activated for "Operation Leafblower."

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I don't know about that. When I was a soldier, stationed at Ft. Richardson, back in 1972-74, we used to travel to Ft. Wainwright for training. If we were lucky enough to be up there, but on-post, for a weekend, we'd head for the China and Flame -- two (in)famous GI bars.

Not to put too fine a point on it, but a bit more than a year ago I returned to the US, after spending 25 years in Israel. This, by way of introduction, to my skepticism with your "Land For Peace" musings.

Lots of ideas look a lot better on paper, than in real life. Swapping parts of Alaska for the Yukon seems like one of 'em (although I really did enjoy driving the Al-Can Highway in my 1968 GMC 4x4 pickup truck, back in January 1974.

YMMV.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Woofwoof said...

What's wrong with Canadians eating kittens? I have just developed a whole new level of respect for them.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Duck Hunter said...

Where's my quote?!?!? You never have a "title", you have a quote. Add my comment with what Lady Luck said, and I dispute who really wrote this entry!

"He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know."
- Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865)

10:05 PM  
Blogger GoGo said...

i second and third what Abraham Lincoln said.

8:39 PM  
Blogger John said...

jonathan,
Good points. Perhaps a better title for the post might have been "Land for Beer"

woof,
Well, umm, they eat puppies, too?

lady luck,
Heh, you and duck hunter found me out . . .

duck,
I did write it, but that was a few months ago . . . you caught and lady luck caught me.

The Lincoln quote has me rolling!

aaron,
Well, when you don't have a lot to say, spend an afternoon saying it.

12:31 PM  
Blogger Sonny L. said...

Hey - Cool blog, nice layout! Checkout my cell phone directory blog if you can.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory