Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

"Pop, until you've had a good cigar and a shot of whiskey, you're missing the second and third best things in life." - Horton, Paint Your Wagon


Oh, sure, it looks like a mountain reaching 14,345’ into the sky, but it’s really Pop’s bunker. It takes him forever to mow.

We headed north from Albuquerque towards Colorado. The speed limit is officially 75MPH (7,342km/h) on the road between Albuquerque and Santa Fe, but we were passed by a pickup (filled to the brim with people in back) doing about 100MPH. Most cars were doing about 90MPH (12km/h). I’m not sure, but I think that this is moving faster than Angelina on a date with somebody else’s spouse. Notice I did not specify gender.

Anyhow. As we wound our way through the mountains south of Colorado, I got an urgent phone call from work. Seems like I left my office light on. Or something. I can’t be sure exactly what people were saying, since the mountains blocked everything after “transdimensional doorway . . . breach . . . fangs.” Then the screaming started and the line went dead. That’ll teach me to leave the lights on.

The mountains of northern New Mexico are serene. The small hamlets that dot the roads, the thirty-year-old Coors sign, the stunted piñon pines all speak to a harsh, remote, and unforgiving lifestyle, much like being the Democrat in Utah.

We finally pulled up to the front gate of Pop Wilder’s bunker. After passing the retina scan and DNA profile, the computer asked me to say the password. It took me a minute to remember. “Soylent Green is people.”

The lead-lined gates to Bunker Wilder swung open and I hugged Pop for the first time in 18 months.

“Hi,” I said.

“What?” replied Pop.

I then remembered. Pop Wilder lost most of his hearing during a multi-year vacation abroad paid for by our country. You gotta love a vacation with guns.

Hi,” I repeated.

“Doing fine.”

We talked for a bit, and then headed off to lunch. Pop hung around for a bit, muttered something about having to change access codes, then wandered off back to his fortress of solitude. The Mrs. and I went to go visit some old friends (new to her, as this was the first time I’d seen them since just before my first date with The Mrs.) and endured the cacophony of multiple discussion strands as we caught up on conversations never completed, just set aside for a time.

We went to our hotel room (somehow the access codes to the bunker didn’t work) and The Boy and I hit the pool. Which is to say I visited the pool and carried The Boy (who is terrified of water) around like a mother kangaroo in a pouch, his arms fiercely clenched around my neck. We went back to our room, and found that Pugsley was howling for food. We went to the restaurant, and Pugsley (22 months old) ate macaroni and cheese and half of my steak. I ordered dessert for the bunch.

Ever wonder what happens when you introduce a 22 month old to chocolate mousse? He rips at your arm, scratching you for you to get that spoon into his mouth NOW. I think my arm was going faster than the cars between Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

Next:
VOLCANO!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I was there for most of this (albeit loopy from all the aspirin and Tylenol and seriously strong decongestant) and it seems like you've left out a few key elements. Do I have to post these on my page? Maybe I just hallucinated them ...

5:57 AM  
Blogger Dame Koldfoot said...

I wonder what Pugsley would do with an Alaskan Moose?

8:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

To the Mrs.

Please share! It will be nice to get the other side of the tale.

4:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it funny that you have a child afraid of the water the same as we do. My Mrs enrolled the younger 2 in lessons which we lovingly refer to as chinese water torture (for the instructors that is).

So what is the Mrs blog site? And why didn't we know about this sooner? I like the photo of the mountain, kind of like I pictured when they all took off on horseback in the novel.

Later,

8:17 PM  
Blogger John said...

The Mrs.,
Oh, sure, you have that selective "The Mrs." memory with feelings and details and stuff. I'm going with the hallucination theory.

dame koldfoot,
Eat it. Raw.

tiffany,
Do we really need to encourage this??? :)

cwh,
That's a good one!!

Oh, The Mrs. site is myspace.com/seanharrisbooks

Same place . . . . exactly.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory