Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, June 01, 2008

"Want to know what the nice thing about humming is? You can stop." - Red, That 70's Show

 

The Fountains of Paradise, or, at least The Fountains of The Museum of Natural History. Which, really, has nothing to do with the following post. Man, I hate that when the author does that.

Ever have an annoying tic that you’re pretty sure is just your own? Yeah, if you’re like me, it isn’t just you that notices.

Every since the first Indiana Jones© movie came out, I think of the theme song whenever we’re getting ready to take a long, cross country adventure trip. I imagine a map with the Wildermobile moving across it. Dunno why – perhaps it makes the trip feel shorter, and much more adventurous than stopping at a bunch of convenience stores so that various members of the family can relieve themselves of the pressures of the road. If you know what I mean.

So, after a recent batch of Indiana Jones™ movies, I noticed that The Boy was incessantly humming the theme song, in places like the grocery store, where I guessed he was imagining taking a twelve-pack of Diet Dr. Pepper® off the shelf, replacing it with a bag of sand, and then steering our cart through the aisles as all of the drain cleaner bottles exploded and having to use a bullwhip to skirt the frozen food section. Frankly, that’s what I imagine, because shopping is boring as can be.

I observed this the other day, and told The Mrs., “You know, whenever we get ready for a long trip I think about the Indiana Jones© theme song.”

The Mrs. looked at me incredulously.

“You’ve been humming that song, nonstop, for the last eleven years whenever we start a car trip longer than ten miles. Telling me you do that is like telling me you snore.”

Oh.

Caught.

Nevermind?

Anyhow, on Saturday we were in Bullseye® buying food, and The Boy, procuring that twelver of Diet Dr. Pepper™ was humming the song.

The Mrs. observed, “At least he comes by it honestly.”

Da-da-DA-da, da-da-DA.
Posted by Picasa

2 Comments:

Blogger Christopher Boondoc said...

Hey, I'm glad I found your blog. I was reading Up in Alaska today and saw the link. We are moving BACK to AK this summer. Just bought a house. check out my blog at mdoncall.blogspot.com

9:25 AM  
Blogger John said...

doctor s.,
Outstanding! True Alaskans move back.

(sobbing)

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory