Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, June 04, 2006

"The sun is shining and the grass is green, under the three feet of snow, I mean." - Stan, South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut


Snow, glorious snow. In June. Really. By the way, The Mrs. took this photo, so don't even think of stealing it. A copyright lawyer is a scary dude, but The Mrs. has the "Mom" look. Don't go there.

I’m out and about on a Sunday, and what hits the hood of my car on June 4?

Snow. Snow flurries hit the Fairbanks area today. I’m sure that this was the tourist version of crack cocaine. They can say that they saw snow falling in June. Imagine how they’ll feel about that back in Missouri? That has to be tourist gold.

“Say, Silas, when I were in Alaska, it done snowed. In June. What do you make of that?”

“Umm, it was Alaska, you went to, right, Horace? Did you expect it to be Hawaii? Get off my lawn, you old fool. And stop calling me Silas. My name’s Ken.”

Several friends said that they had spent Saturday evening covering plants outside, since the planting chart says that you should be safe from frost on June 1. It was 25ºF last night (-273.15ºC), so if you had a nice crop of, well, some sort of vegetable and didn’t cover it, you’ll now have some frozen vegetables. Or maybe it kills the plants. I’m sort of fuzzy on all of that, since if it isn’t a mammal or fish, I’m not sure I want to eat it. I don’t trust things that grow in dirt. Worms live in dirt. The stuff that makes beer is okay; since I’m pretty sure it’s boiled first.

I started a fire yesterday afternoon as the cold front started coming through. In the spirit of more disclosure than you’d ever get from a congressman, (or is it congressperson, or congressbeing? I think it’s congressperson in Seattle. I think it’s congressbeing, or maybe even congressconsciousness in California) it was 70ºF the day before.

Given that I’d made a fire the night before, it was pretty warm in the house when I went to bed. What was fairly unusual is that there was wind that came with the cold front. The wind was fairly constant, and cooled the house through the magic of thermodynamics. Rather than our house just radiating heat, a constant supply of 25ºF air was blowing past it. This decreases the insulating value (there’s math supporting this, but if it makes you feel better, the Cold Faeries are made strong by the Wind God), but primarily results in people (very short people, like The Boy) grumbling that it was cold.

I know he has a snow suit and a parka, so there’s no real reason for him to be cold until it’s minus 25ºF in the house, unless he’s been made weak and lazy by the warm spring days.


The Boy's weather map - probably a better map of Alaska than most could draw, though it looks like the temperature is infinity in Anchorage (down south and in the middle), so there must be a volcano in the forecast. Is the weatherblob happy? I can't tell.

I think he’s just weak and lazy. If the faucets aren’t frozen, it’s not all that cold in the house.

I’m sitting now in a warm house, the crackle of a fire back behind me, The Boy deep in intent study of how to hunt a ghost, courtesy of the SciFi channel. It’s not dark out, won’t be for a few months, and, none of the snow stuck to the ground longer than it took for the Warm Earth God to kill the Cold Faeries with Earth Magic if you’re a vegan, or a Druid, or whatever (or for the heat of the sun-warmed deck to melt it, if you’re me).

It was a lovely day, though, cold or not. Except for the teeth chattering. That makes it hard to enjoy the Sunday paper. But the beer’s cold.

10 Comments:

Blogger CabinDweller said...

I like your snow pics. Don't worry, won't thieve them - I stood out on the deck yesterday taking pictures as well, just to be able to prove that it snowed on June 4.

Which is so touristy that I am ashamed of myself.

All the green things, (sorry, not growing any barley or hops, so they are not beer supporting), with the exception of the basil, SURVIVED. The dead tomato plants stayed dead, just wilted a bit more.

Just think, if it snowed for real, we could keep our beer cool in the handy snow drift in the yard. :)

You laugh. But I've done it before in other parts of Alaska in July.

9:13 AM  
Blogger Jacie Wiggs said...

Evil blogger photo upload! It is down for some reason, otherwise I would be enjoying your snow pictures.

Congressman could be shortened to CON-MAN! Luv from cynical one!

Temperatures here are up in the mid thirties with the humidex, what is that in farenheit? It makes the paint dry very quickly, which is ideal, because it is generally very not so thrilling to watch it do so!

2:16 PM  
Blogger brotherbill said...

Wha'l Silas, Ah remember bein' snowed in years ago, July th' Fourth, in Wyoming, ou' West way. Strange summer, lost about three big rigs, rollovers comin' off'n the grade inna Rawlins. Jes' made it down afore they closed the big boulevard fer the day. Lost a whole day runnin'.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Woofwoof said...

I am trying to make sense of The Boy's weather map. Either Alaska is heating up to 4000 deg, or you are being invaded by aliens from FEMA. You'd better move. And if you are coming to California, bring gasoline.

7:34 PM  
Blogger Al said...

Snow in June? I knew summers were short in Fairbanks, but this is crazy. But think of all the money you can save by just sitting your refrigerated products on the back porch and throw away the fridge!

Money savings...reason number 24 to move to Alaska.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Joann said...

I hope old Al Gore won't hear about this cold and snow, I would hate to see him cry.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Jacie Wiggs said...

John, with The Boy, I'm thinking that he just may have an artist in him. How old is he? Seriously, line quality, composition, form,imagination - it is all there! What else has he done? Lets see more!!!

3:50 AM  
Blogger Jill Homer said...

That's actually one of my claims of tourist glory - I've seen it snow in every month of the year ... in the lower 48! In June it was in the Uinta Mountains, Utah; in July, Mesa Verde, Colorado; and in August, Snowy Range Pass, Wyoming (it was Aug. 31). Still haven't seen June snow in Alaska yet. Can't say I'd want to.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Alaska. That little bit of Russia that passed into Yankee hands (believe me, the Russians are still pissed about it). I get to enjoy that climate FAR more than I could ever describe. -50 winters have become my flagellum.

9:52 PM  
Blogger John said...

cabindweller,
I think that basil might be okay. It's in pizza, right?

Not astonished, but I hear we're on tap for 80F Friday . . .

jacie,
Hmmm, mid thirties in F? I think that's about hot enough to cook a pizza. (one track mind).

brotherbill,
See, in Wyoming, there's only one tree to slow down the wind. I think that's in Rawlins. Hope they didn't cut it down . . .

woof,
It's up to 4000F here. I'd bring the gasoline down to California, but San Francisco keeps saying they want ethanol or biodiesel instead. I guess we'll just have to keep our gasoline up here.

al,
*no* air conditioning. None needed. Mmmm, this beer is cold.

joann,
I think that snow in Fairbanks in June would be an Inconvienient Truth. Wouldn't want to bother Al with that. Near a record low night before last . . .

jacie,
Nah, not an artist, just smudgy. He's good at straight lines.

jill,
It's nice and fun to see the snow in June. I heard one May up here it snowed 18".

robert,
Heh heh. I enjoy it as well. I don't know what it is, but I'd take -50 over nice and sunny in Houston any day.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory