Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

"Captain Picard to the bridge. We've got a problem with the warp core or the phase inducers or some other damn thing." - Geordi, Star Trek TNG



Sign, sign, everywhere a sign. But this one is cool. All of the pictures get bigger if you click on them. It's magic.

As I said when last we were chatting, the view of the bridge over the mighty Yukon (as in, “Yukon, Ho!” which was finally replaced by the more mundane “Life in Alaska” because I didn’t want people to think I ran a string of women with tight parkas and loose morals) was refreshing. After seeing miles and miles of wonderful trees and panoramic mountain vistas, I was really in the mood to see a big hunk of steel sitting on concrete.

The name “Yukon” refers to either “great river” in a native Alaskan language, Gwich’in or the University of Connecticut.” The river’s basketball team sucks, but I still like it better than UConn. I digress. The bridge is known as the E. L. Patton bridge, which makes me think of George C. Scott in a Zorro mask . . . el Patton: “Ah, Señor Rommel, mí casa es sú casa, eh?”



I'm ever so glad that there aren't termites in Alaska. The water looked cold. And deep.

The bridge itself is composed of concrete, steel and . . . wood. Now many of you recognize the great affinity that I have for cutting, hauling, and burning wood. As a bridge deck when you’re above a big, deep, cold river? Well, if the trucks can make it, I guessed we could.

The Boy was in a state of excitement. A big river, a big bridge, and lots of trucks. What’s not to like?



Looking east on the Yukon. I think that there are fish in water, which is why I prefer beer.

The biggest settlement we would see all day is on the north side of the Yukon. I’ll give more info on that in a later post. Let’s just say it involves naked women living in champagne glasses. How’s that for a teaser?

Pulling about five miles north of the bridge, there’s Five Mile Airport. It’s owned by Alyeska, the folks that run the Trans-Alaska Pipeline. As far as airports go, this one is unique. Landing a plane requires that the Dalton Highway be shut down. The Dalton runs right by the strip, and I could have gotten all the light bulbs I’d ever need if we had stopped. Unfortunately none of my light fixtures are “airport” rated.

The terrain changes as you go farther north, trees becoming scarcer as the Arctic Circle comes nearer. The terrain has a stark, barren beauty, like New Mexico or Meryl Streep. You can tell that the weather pushes to harsh extremes. You can tell that there’s no beer store close.



If Meryl Streep were a landscape, I think she'd look like this.

Next: Finger Rock and Farther North

11 Comments:

Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Cool! Neat to see the Yukon that far up. See any kooky paddlers/rafters doing the whole route? I often meet folks with grand plans like that early in the summer and wonder if they ever made the journey.

10:06 PM  
Blogger dogsled_stacie said...

Also, love that last photo. Fall colours rock! As does miles and miles of nothingness.

10:07 PM  
Blogger DogMa said...

Indeed...I think she would too.

Cool pics!

11:12 PM  
Blogger shawnkielty said...

Are you on vacation John?

What's that like?

Nice post -- I don't think I have vacation at my new job.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Duck Hunter said...

I think I am learning from your writing. Thanks.

4:37 AM  
Blogger the Witch said...

What did MS ever do to you?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Lynn said...

I am still like the little kid waitin for you to turn the page!
The photos are awesome!

5:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa. Nice pictures. After looking
at the signs and the background I
have to ask...

Did Bob Ross do the background? Or
does your camera lack depth of field?

8:03 PM  
Blogger Woofwoof said...

It's really true. Your trees are crooked, even the ones on the signs.

Not fair to hold us in suspense with the naked ladies on champagne glasses. It was bad enough to make us wait for the President of Taiwan, but this is just cruel...

8:53 PM  
Blogger brotherbill said...

As you suggested I clicked on the Yukon River 'Signs' photo and it did magically enlarge. I see that the Yukon is under FBI investigation, and perhaps on the Ten Most Wanted List.

Also, I noticed someone lurking down in the river bottom, sitting in a tiny white Ford SUV. Is OJ hiding out, opps! I mean has OJ tracked the killers up into the Yukon, or is he just playing a round at the Yukon River Country Club?

7:07 AM  
Blogger John said...

dogsled_stacie,
No rafters . . . some boater comments next time. It really is miles and miles of nothing, like a drive with Paris Hilton.

dogma,
Thanks!!

shawn,
va-ca-tion . . . what is this word you speak of? (knows that it sounds familiar).

duck hunter,
Thank YOU!

witch,
Well, to start with, I invented Alar. Then, there were the hours of my life that I'll never get back after watching "Out of Africa." She owes me. Big.

lynn,
More coming!

oz,
Bob Ross DID do the background. I'll gladly take donations for a new camera, though.

woof,
Alaska, where the trees are crooked, and so are the roads. Well, technically it's a tea cup.

brotherbill,
This was a faster chase than OJ's. And *not* a Ford Bronco.

lynn,

11:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory