Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, August 13, 2006

"Sneaking into the movies is wrong, as wrong as spilling juice on a new carpet." - Hank, King of the Hill


The Boy’s picture of morning in Fairbanks. Notice the two-lens-finger technique. That’s a pro!

A rainy weekend in Fairbanks is much like a -55ºF weekend in Fairbanks, since you don’t want to do much outside. I’d had plans. I wanted to paint the house, wander up into the forest and gather wood, and sleep in. I managed to sleep in, so I guess one out of three isn’t bad.

I had backup plans, though, even more energetic than sleeping in: we would finish the basement floor and prepare it for carpet.

Our carpet had arrived at the Home Despot last week. Spending money causes me physical pain. It hurts. In this case, I purchased top of the line, Stainmaster™ 10-year-warrenty carpet, with the only exclusion being having Robin Williams spend the weekend. The carpet is good stuff, rather than the $0.10 a square yard stuff that you’d think I’d buy.

I did get it on a 20% discount at Home Despot. If I’d dragged my next-door-neighbor down, I could have gotten another 10% off, since he’s in the military. But I would have had to kidnap him, since I don’t think he likes us all that much, and I would hope the training at Home Despot covers hostage situations, at least for the Store Manager.

I spent the big bucks because the carpet could be installed by us rather than having to pay someone to do it. Putting the carpet down consists of tossing the squares of carpet down on the concrete and then moving the sofa on. They have a semi-sticky back, so I’m thinking putting this carpet down is like covering your floor in Post-It® notes. Regardless, The Mrs. liked the color.

I read through the instructions, and saw that installation over “irregularities” in the floor bigger than 1/8” was discouraged. There were divots in the concrete floor of my basement that you could store a Volkswagen in, so I figured I should spend the time and money to fill them.

The Boy and I used a joint leveling compound and a trowel to fill the low spots. I spent the time filling the low spots with the leveling compound, while The Boy spent the time getting me beers. One day he’ll graduate to putting the leveling compound down between getting me beers. This may not be a great dream, but it’s all I’ve got.

So, it was a slow, wasted weekend, the time where I caught up on interior chores and wished that I’d done more outside. In that respect, it’s good. It will help focus me on the tasks required for winter, like gathering more wood and stocking up on more beer. Oh, and finishing the basement. Somebody’s got to put all the Post-It® notes on the floor.


Quote of the Day: “Sometimes I sneak into your bedroom and stare at you in the dark while you’re sleeping.” – The Boy to The Mrs.

11 Comments:

Blogger Woofwoof said...

What can you possibly be doing with a Mexican fireplace? I need one, but where I live, winters are as warm as your summers.

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When did chimineas begin to migrate that far north? Have all my efforts been for naught?

10:04 PM  
Blogger DogMa said...

Ah that kid as funny as hell! They do say the damndest things don't they!

Sounds to me like you did plenty...plenty more than me that is.

Keep up the good work! I shall return to check your progess my friend!

12:47 AM  
Blogger SusanE said...

The Boy sounds like the cutest. His photography is fun and I love the picture of him watching The Wife sleeping. Makes me miss having little kids.... well just a little bit.

9:16 AM  
Blogger SusanE said...

That was the figurative picture of him watching The Wife sleeping.

9:17 AM  
Blogger My home is Alaska said...

Oh John, John, John. I'd give my left n*t to go outside in the rain and work. We haven't seen rain in months. The last heat wave killed over 20,000 cattle in the fields. 55 and rainy sounds like heaven. Or you can imagine my life. 115 degrees. Every damn day. Til you go INSANEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

5:28 PM  
Blogger Duck Hunter said...

I would have went with post-it notes on the floor. Easy to replace if you have a spill.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Lynn said...

hehe,

We did that same thing with the Home Depot Carpet.

I purchased an extra thick mould resistant underlay. Now you can lay on the carpet and it is as comfortable as a Serta. The good underlay keeps the basement floor feeling warm too!

I would be careful as The Boy gets older, cuz you may wake up with things tied to your toes or Wife's lipstick on (I say this because he seems to be takin on your kwirky traits!)

7:58 AM  
Blogger Joann said...

I am smiling, crying and trying to type. Thanks a lot.

7:38 PM  
Blogger John said...

woof,
We use it in the one week between summer and winter.

oz,
Christmas present. Nice, though, to sit out front of on a chilly (20-40) day and drink beer.

dogma,
It really was a lazy weekend. The Mrs. almost shot milk out of her nose when he said that . . .

susane,
Cute and smart. Thanks for the follow-up comment. I was ready to wrap the house in tinfoil to prevent stray electromagnetic signals from sneaking out.

gihc,
Compared to 115F? It is heaven. Actually, it's heaven most of the time here, when people aren't watching us sleep.

duck,
We are! I think we have waaaay to many of them though. Update coming.

lynn,
He is a scamp, but he likes me, which means he wants to fight with me all the time. Go figure.

Perhaps I could just carpet over him, if I woke up with lipstick on, and had not been dressed as Dr. Frank N. Furter the night before.

7:59 PM  
Blogger John said...

joann,
Your post showed up between when I opened the page and when I commented. Wow!

Thank YOU!

8:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory