Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Sunday, April 17, 2005

Hammer Of The Gods


I took the above picture flying over the Alaska Range as I was going down to Anchorage. Work stuff.

Dang, I live in Alaska.

Then, I realized I was living a song. I know, I know, every single teenager is convinced that they're the only one who really understands what (pick your artist) is saying about (pick your issue: love, finding beer, self-loathing, zits, etc.). But this is a Led Zep song, specifically The Immigrant Song.


We come from the land of the ice and snow,
Check. Alaska has plenty of that.

From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
Check. There's enough light out at midnight to bbq by right now. We live about fifty miles from hot springs.

The hammer of the gods will drive our ships to new lands,
Umm, okay, it starts to break down a bit here. No hammer of the gods found here. I've been doing drywall in the basement. I've been using a battery-powered drill. Is that close? For the record, I flew here. Let's re-write:
The battery-powered drill of drywall will drive our airplane to new lands.
No, I like the original better. Mine makes no sense! But, that never stopped pop song writers. I'll keep looking for the hammer of the gods. Is that at The Home Despot?

To fight the horde, singing and crying: Valhalla, I am coming!
Umm, okay, really broken down now. Alaska has been Nationally Certified as "Mostly Horde Free." I do think, though, that Valhalla is somewhere north of Fairbanks.

3 Comments:

Blogger Quackin' Mad Duck said...

Man, what a picture!!!

When we were flying down from Fairbanks at 25,000 feet or so, it was awe-inspiring to look over to your left and see a mountain sticking up right beside you high above the clouds! Something you don't soon forget.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Quackin' Mad Duck said...

Wait, flying down to Anchorage, I meant looking over to your right (your OTHER left)! I have a terrible time keeping my lefts and rights straight. Sorry.

1:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, I am interested in hearing from others

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory