Wilder by Far

A look at life with the Wilder family. Updated most weekends and some vacation days. You can contact me at movingnorth@gmail.com..

My Photo
Name:
Location: United States

Saturday, April 23, 2005

Saturday's Treasures


This picture is from Anchorage's Ted Stevens Airport, just before dawn. A really nice, really new airport.

It's melting up here. Finally. First day that's safe for planting, I hear, is in early June. Someone mentioned that there is only one month that hasn't seen significant snowfall in Fairbanks - July. But, since our last blast of about 4" of snow on Monday, it's been up to . . . gasp . . . 60F! I got up this morning, and for the first morning since we've been here, it was warm without a fire, though my new definition of warm is "not currently at a low temperature that is immediately life-threatening."

Things are starting to melt, and 'treasures' that I didn't know I had keep appearing from under the snow - a cobble sidewalk, built hobbit size, for instance. Military ammunition boxes retasked for use as planters, for another. I have a 55 gallon drum of, well, something. I'm afraid to look inside the drum, and afraid to just keep it around.

You take a LOT on faith when you buy a house without benefit of ever seeing below the 2' of snow covering everything. On the bright side, if I find something horrid, it'll be covered with snow again soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Quackin' Mad Duck said...

What a great airport! Great picture!

Yeah, Fairbanks is such a dreamy place. Remote, wild, fresh. Only recently tainted by Walmart...

7:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Silktide SiteScore for this website
Blog Flux Directory Blogarama Free Web Counters
Web Counter
Search Popdex:
Humor Blog Top Sites Top100 Bloggers
Top100 uscity.net directory